Wednesday, March 02, 2005

What I'm Reading - Dianetics

I recently picked up a copy of L. Ron Hubbard's book Dianetics. I've been wanting to read this book for some time, but have never made the effort before. This book appeals to me because it touches on a couple of topics that I'm very interested in. First of all, I'm very interested in how the mind works and am always looking for new methods for improving the functionality of my own mind. Also since dianetics is one of the building blocks of Scientology, it touches on another topic that fascinates me - religion and philosophy. I am Catholic, but have long been intrigued by the various religions of the world and their underlying philosophies.

I'm not too far into the book yet, but one thing has already struck me about it. There have been several topics introduced that the author calls "scientific facts" or says that they've been proven in "clinical trials", but offers no evidence to back up the claim. Most of the ideas themselves seem pretty sound though, so I'll press on with my reading with that in the back of my mind. I'll give a full review when I've finished reading.

No comments: